||G.N.R./ L.N.E.R./ B.R. 521/536 (L.N.E.R. J6)
The first 15 of the 521 series were built at the end of Ivatt’s days with GNR . Later, 95 of the 536 series being produced in a modified form by Gresley between late 1912 and 1922. The last two locomotives were withdrawn in June 1962. The Gresley series of locomotives had the boiler set further back in the frames with a shorter cab. The initial batch had sandboxes between the frames feeding the driving wheels but on the 536 series a sandbox was added to the leading splasher feeding the leading coupled wheels. The 521’s had a plain chimney and the 536’s a built up pattern 7/8 in. shorter. By grouping the chimneys were all of the later type.There are a large number of alternatives in this kit such as two sets of main frames, cab options, smoke box choices, GNR or LNER chimneys, and a choice of Stirling, Ivatt horseshoe, or Ivatt self-trimming tender. The fittings are almost all lost wax cast brass.
One of our tenders is featured on the front cover of Guy Williams’ book “More 4mm Engines”, attached to a GNR Atlantic. That locomotive, which was otherwise scratchbuilt for one of the chapters of this Wild Swan publication, also uses LRM cast hornblocks.
||G.N.R. H3/ L.N.E.R. / B.R. K2/2
Built between 1913 and 1921, the sixty five locomotives of the G.N.R. H3 class were reclassified as K2/2’s by the LNER. They were nicknamed ‘Ragtimers’ due to their reputation for rough riding. Despite this they were a succesful locomotive design and lasted variously until 1955 to 1962. The artwork for the K2/2, the second London Road Models kit of a G.N.R. prototype, was drawn up to his usual high standard by Malcolm Crawley, Chairman of the G.N.R. Society.
Most of the many variants of the K2/2 class are covered by the kit, with three alternative cabs and various detail parts and boiler fittings and an Ivatt self-trimming tender. A number of fold-up jig assembly components are included, to simplify the assembly process of this fairly complicated engine. Many of the detail component are lost wax brass castings, while the piston crossheads and the cylinder covers/slidebars nickel silver, cast in from masters produced by John Hayes, to provide a realistic representation of the original steel components. Due to the complexity of the valve gear and the detail incorporated, this is not a kit for the beginner, but is more suited to the more experienced modeller.
||G.N.R./ L.N.E.R./ B.R. 315/343 (L.N.E.R. J3)
What became the LNER J3 class was first introduced by Nigel Gresley in 1912, when he re-built No. 1163 of the 343 class of GNR locos, with a bigger 4ft 8in boiler. Between 1912 and 1929, a total of 153 locos were rebuilt, mainly Ivatt, although 27 of the Stirling type were also rebuilt from what became the LNER J4 class. The main difference from locos as built apart from the boiler was the lifting of the cab roof by 6 inches, although often the specific cab design was not changed. Thus, some Stirling cabs were perpetuated, as original.The kit is etched from brass, and with nickel silver for the chassis. A Stirling tender is included as standard.
||GNR J5/ L.N.E.R./B.R. J4
The LNER J4 preceded the J3, the most readily apparent difference being the smaller boiler diameter, on the J4. However, as for the J3, the variations were numerous. The GNR class J5, which in the main later became the LNER J4, was the development of the standard Stirling 0-6-0 goods tender loco with 5ft 2in driving wheels. The original engines of this type began to appear in 1871. In common with the K2/2, these two kits were researched and designed by Malcolm Crawley, Chairman of the G.N.R. Society. They are supplied with all the main components for the body and tender etched in brass. The loco and tender chassis are in nickel-silver and both can be fitted with compensation or springing. The fittings are almost all lost wax cast brass. A few fittings, such as tender axleguards/spring assemblies are in high quality whitemetal. Sprung turned buffers are included.
||GNR/L.N.E.R./B.R. N1 0-6-2T
Ivatt introduced his N1 0-6-2T design for hauling suburban London trains in 1907. By 1912 a total of 51 N1s were operating in the London area. A total of 56 N1s were built in six batches. All were fitted with condensing gear, except for four which were intended for use in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Although superseded by Gresley’s N2 locomotives with their superheating and piston valves, the first N1 withdrawal did not occur until 1947, with 55 engines entering British Railways ownership. Withdrawals commenced in earnest in 1951. The last N1 was withdrawn in April 1959.The kit is etched in .010″ nickel silver, using overlays to provide scale detail where required.
|LOCO87||GNR D1/LNER D2 4-4-0
Designed by Ivatt and introduced in 1898, 65 locomotives of the GNR D1 were built with the footplate raised over the coupling rods, allowing for better access to the oiling points. They were usually known as the “1321” class. The smokebox of the original version’s saturated boiler was extended to improve steaming and the earlier cabs were later modified. Withdrawals started in September 1936, thirty-one entered British Railways ownership, and the last D2 was withdrawn in June 1951.The kit is supplied with the Ivatt self-trimming tender, although the Stirling tender can be supplied as an option. The two cab variations are included with the kit, to allow either early or late versions to be constructed. During Ivatt’s reign, a number of the locomotives were modified, but these modifications are not included
|LOCO88||GNR D1/LNER D2 4-4-0 superheated boiler.
H. N. Gresley superheated 25 of the D1 class. The first rebuild was undertaken in 1914, the others following after the grouping. Initially the locomotives carried Ramsbottom Safety valves, whilst their handrails were cut back from going round the front of the boiler starting in 1911. The smokebox of the original version’s saturated boiler was extended to improve steaming and the earlier cabs were later modified. Withdrawals started in September 1936, thirty-one entered British Railways ownership, and the last D2 was withdrawn in June 1951.The kit is supplied with the Ivatt self-trimming tender, although the Stirling tender can be supplied as an option. The two cab variations are included with the kit, to allow either early or late versions to be constructed. During Ivatts reign, a number of the locomotives were modified, but these modifications are not included
||LNER C12 (GNR C2) 4-4-2T Square tank version
Introduced between 1898 and 1907 the C12s were initially used for Yorkshire’s West Riding and London suburban services. The tank and bunker corners were originally squared off but the later versions had rounded tank corners and flared bunkers. The kit is entirely etched in nickel silver, the boiler is pre-rolled, fittings are mainly cast brass, sprung buffers, etc. 00, EM and P4 frame and bogie spacers are included.
|LOCO90||LNER D4 (GNR D2)
First introduced by the GNR in 1896 the D2 class were also known as the “400” class after the prototype, and were reclassified as D4 by the LNER. No. 400 was followed by fifty more D2s in five batches over the next three years. The first forty were built with straight running plates and splashers over the coupling rods, while the last batch of ten had raised running plates over the coupling rods to match the GNR C2 Atlantics. The kit produces the straight running plate version.
They were rebuilt with higher pitched larger diameter boilers, 4′ 8″ instead of 4′ 5″, between 1912 and 1928 and reclassified as the D3 class.The new kit is in etched brass for the superstructure with nickel silver for the chassis components, brass and whitemetal castings, etc. Available from December 2011 the D2/D4 is supplied the Ivatt Horseshoe tender as standard, although the other GNR tenders can be substituted, if required.
||LNER D3 (GNR D3)
29 GNR D2 class with a flat footplate were rebuilt to GNR D3/LNER D3 4-4-0s as depicted by this new kit. 19 lasted into BR days, the last being scrapped in 1951. Four different cabs were fitted over their working lives, early or late Ivatt, Stainmore side window (3 locos) and finally that fitted to number 2000 (later 62000), a Directors loco. The kit provides all these cab options plus the parts to provide the other minor variations they carried.
The kit is etched in brass, with a nickel silver chassis. The chassis can be built to OO, EM or P4 gauge and has standard 6mm horn block half etched cut outs for those wishing to fit compensation or springing. Lost wax brass casting, spring buffers, etc. are included but motor wheels and gears are required to complete the model.
Either of the two existing Ivatt tenders from the LRM range are supplied with the kit, the Horseshoe or Self Trimming types.
|LOCO92||LNER J5 (GNR J22)
Ivatt built these twenty medium-powered goods locomotives in 1909-10, to meet the increasing goods and coal traffic being experienced by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) at that time. They had the same dimensions as the existing mixed traffic GNR Class J21 (LNER J1) locomotives, except they had smaller 5ft 2in coupled wheels. Two batches of ten J5s were built at Doncaster in 1909 and 1910.The body is etched in brass with a nickle silver chassis and mostly brass fittings. It includes a jig to help with the accurate forming of the one piece cab side/roof.
|LOCO93||LNER Q2 0-8-0 (GNR K1)
The kit was developed by Frank Davies for the Shipley MRS “Clayton” project. Beautifully designed, it is etched in brass and nickel silver with optional parts to build inside valve gear, which can be made to work if required. Castings are mainly in brass.
|loco94||LNER Q1 0-8-0 (GNR K1)
Another excellent kit designed by Frank Davies for the Shipley MRS “Clayton” project. Etched in brass and nickel silver with optional parts to build inside valve gear, which can be made to work if required. Castings are mainly in brass
|GNRC1||GNR/LNER/BR J4 Conversion Kit to 1031, 1081 and 1091 series||£16.00|
|TEND81||Stirling – Class D six wheel tender||£49.50|
|TEND82||Ivatt – “Horseshoe” six wheel tender||£49.50|
|TEND83||Ivatt – “Self trimming” six wheel tender||£49.50|
||GNR/LNER six wheel tender to Doncaster diagram R13.
This “sandwich framed” tender with inside springs was originally used with passenger locos but as they became superseded by later Stirling and Ivatttender designs they were often demoted to use with goods locos. The R13 tender can, for example, be used with the LRM GNRC1 conversion etch for the J4 0-6-0 kit to create the 1031, 1081 and 1091class versions. The accompanying photo shows the R13 tender assembled from the test etches.The kit includes the cast water filler dome, handrail knobs, etc.