Midland Railway Tenders
|TEND23||Johnson 2950 gallon||£37.00|
||MR Class 115 “Spinner”
The Midland resurrected singles in 1887 following the Caledonian’s successful introduction of their 4-2-2 with compressed air sanding. By 1900 they had built 95 4-2-2s in five classes, each increasing in weight and capacity, of which the 115 class was widely considered the best, totalling fifteen in all. They were built between 1896-7 with piston rather than side valves and a coil sprung driving axle. They had an impressive turn of speed and although they rarely exceeded 75-77 mph one was recorded as taking 325 tons between Kettering and Nottingham at an average speed of 51.7 mph.The kit is etched in brass, with n/s loco and tender chassis. The majority of the cast components are lost wax brass castings, including the driving axle coil spring and bearing assembly.
||M.R./L.M.S/B.R. ‘1698’ (3130) Class 0-6-0
The ‘1698’ Class was a series of 60 engines built by the Midland Railway between 1885 and 1888 and in their original condition were perhaps the most handsome of the Johnson single frame goods engines, They were coupled to either 2750 or 2950 gallon tenders. The last member of the class was scrapped in 1961. As built these engines probably carried full MR crimson lake livery, which would have been replaced later with a simplified version of the crimson lake livery, with less lining.The kit is etched in brass, with n/s loco and tender chassis. Castings are lost wax brass as well as whitemetal.
||M.R./L.M.S. Kirtley 0-4-4 Well Tank
Built in 1869-70 to the design of Matthew Kirtley, by Beyer Peacock and Dubs, these attractive yet quaint looking locomotives were to last over 50 years. The general appearance remained little altered, the cab, originally a typical Kirtley weatherboard, was the most conspicuous addition, put on by S.W. Johnson when the engines were reboilered in the 1880s and 1890s. From 1907 R.M. Deeley modifield the smokebox door and changed the chimney to one of his own standard design. Except for minor details such as lamp irons, vacuum brake fittings etc., they remained virtually unchanged. The last survived till 1935.The kit is etched in brass, with n/s loco chassis. Castings are lost wax brass as well as whitemetal.
|LOCO23||M.R./L.M.S/B.R. 3F 0-6-0 (Belpaire boiler)
In 1903 Johnson introduced the enlarged 0-6-0 design Class 3, construction continuing until 1911, when the first Class 4’s were built. In 1916 that the rebuilding of the earlier Class 2 & 3 began and is this rebuilt version of the 3F which is represented in this kit. At the grouping in 1923 there were 480 on the Midland and 10 on the SDJR. A further modification was that some were built with 4′ 11″ driving wheels and they retained these throughout their existence. Number plates for each of these variations is included in the fret even though only curved brake hangers are supplied.The kit is etched in brass, with n/s loco and tender chassis. Castings are lost wax brass as well as whitemetal.
||M.R./L.M.S. CLASS 3F (Roundtop firebox) 0-6-0
This class of just 20 locomotives was the final Richard Deeley design to be built for the Midland Railway. They represented the final development of the quintessential M.R. Johnson/Deeley Class 3 non-superheated goods engines and they were all built at the Derby works of the Midland Railway in 1903. The main differences from their Class 3 predecessors, apart from the boiler, was the shape of the cab which incorporated the rear splasher, cab ventilator and boiler fittings. All members of the class were subsequently rebuilt with Belpaire boilers by Sir Henry Fowler between 1918 and 1923.The kit is etched in brass, with n/s loco and tender chassis. Castings are lost wax brass as well as whitemetal.
||M R 1808 Class 4-4-0
The 1808 class was a development of the Midland’s pioneer 1312 class, From 1888 two batches were built at Derby totalling 25 engines and were coupled to either 2950 or 3250 tenders. They were originally numbered 1808-1822 (becoming 378-392 in 1907) and 80-87, 11 and 14 (becoming 393-402 in 1907.) The second group of locomotives had slightly deeper frames which protruded above the running plate at the side of and behind the smoke box. Both styles are provided in this kit. Conversion to H boilers began in 1904 and the whole class received these prior to re-numbering in 1907. These alterations radically altered the appearance of the engines and this kit does not cater for these changes.A further 40 engines were also built for the Midland and Great Northern Railway by Sharp, Stewart & Co. in 1894 and in 1896 as well as by Beyer Peacock in 1899. All were classified ‘C’ by the company. All were built with 2950 gallon tenders. Considerable varieties of re-building commenced around 1908, only the original MGNR version is covered by the kit.
The kit is etched in brass, with n/s loco and tender chassis. Castings are lost wax brass as well as whitemetal. The kit enables you to build either derivative of the1808 class and is supplied with a 2950 gallon tender.
|LOCO26||M.R. ‘378’ Class 2 4-4-0 (1909 Rebuild)
These engines were rebuilds by Sir Henry Fowler of two classes of Johnson engines which had already been rebuilt by R.M. Deeley. The engines were thus rebuilt with G7 saturated boilers and remained in this condition until scrapped in 1953.
With one exception, all engines ultimately had the Johnson standard 3250 gal. tender. Three actually survived into BR days 385, 381 and 383. Only old number 383 actually received “British Railways” in full on the tender side and LNWR style mixed traffic lining.The kit is etched in brass, with n/s loco and tender chassis. Castings are lost wax brass as well as whitemetal.
||M. R. / L.M.S. 1400 Class 2-4-0 (Roundtop boiler)
The Johnson 1400 Class 2-4-0 is probably the most elegant of the wide variety of Midland Railway 2-4-0’s. Derived from the “50” class the 1400’s were the largest “subgroup” of M.R. 2-4-0’s and generally the longest lived, the last surviving to 1949 (L.M.S. 20216) although this particular engine never received it’s B.R. number. Built between 1879 and 1881, thirty were produced at Derby (1400 – 1409 and 1472 – 1491), while a further thirty were manufactured by Neilsons (1502 -1531). They all passed to the L.M.S. and a number were fitted with Belpaire boilers (see Loco kit 29).
As built they had Johnson smokebox doors and boiler fittings but these were later replaced by the Deeley variety, which did little to improve the appearance of these locomotives. The class were fitted with 6′ 8½&” wheels and had outside frames. Originally they had a straight splasher section between the wheels, but this was later changed to the much more attractive curved arrangement featured in the kit. They were coupled with 2950 or 3250 gallon tenders.
|LOCO29||M. R. / L.M.S. 1400 Class 2-4-0 (Belpaire boiler).
A number of Johnson’s attractive 1400 class 2-4-0’s were rebuilt by Deeley with Belpaire boilers and his own design of smokebox door, chimney and dome. At the same time Ross pop safety valves were fitted. Regrettably, these changes did nothing to improve the appearance of these attractive locomotives. Generally speaking the Belpaire boiler versions lasted longer than the original boilered ones. Of the eight still in existence in 1934, the majority had Belpaire boilers. They were coupled with 3250 gallon tenders. Designed for London Road Models by George Norton these kits enable you to build either derivative of the M. R. 1400 class. A choice of Johnson or Deeley fittings is available and the kit is supplied with a 2950 gallon tender.
|TEND23||Johnson 2950 gallon||£37.00|