|24′ 1850s 4-wheel carriages|
|These three kits represent L&NWR carriages built at the carriage works at Saltley in the 1850s & 1860s. As there are no surviving records for this period it is difficult to give much detail about the vehicles, other than to say they would have been mainline vehicles when new, and would have been cascaded down to secondary and branchline use later in life. It is equally uncertain when these vehicles were scrapped. Some however where sold off to minor railways most notably the Bishops castle railway.|
|Five compartment all third||£32.00|
|Four compartment composite||£32.00|
|28′ Arc Roof 4-wheel Carriages
£32.00 each. (For D199, D300, D364 pleaseenquire)
The LNWR built large numbers of 4 wheel “suburban” coaches in the 19th century. The prototypes for these models were built to a variety of diagrams between 1892 and 1900 and formed into sets for use on services to Mansion House, and the Birmingham and South Wales areas.Although the same coach body style was used, three different underframe designs, with different wheelbase were built, resulting in different Diagram Numbers for otherwise identical looking carriages. A number of them lasted as late as 1938, receiving LMS livery and numbers. The Mansion House Sets were finished in varnished teak to resist the smoke laden atmosphere of the sub-surface lines. They became generally known as the “Brown Trains”.
The other sets were painted in the standard LNWR carriage livery. Although close up photographs are not easily found, detailed written information of these carriages is available in the L&NWR Society Premier Portfolio No.7.The kit is etched in brass, with a preformed plasticard roof and cast whitemetal fittings. The underframe has built in compensation to allow for the long wheelbase.
Please note. At present we are unable to supply the correct 17ft wheelbase bulb angle-iron underframe for the South Wales versions and it will be some time before these are available. For those who are desperate, the 17ft channel section underframe can be supplied.
|LNWR 6 wheel carriages.
The LNWR had a large number of 6 wheel carriage types, in 30’ 1” and 32’ lengths. The kits feature a .012” etched brass body, a Cleminson truck underframe etched in .015” nickel silver and cast brass and whitemetal detailing parts.
The roofs are vacuum formed plastic and screws, wire, etc are also included. 3’ 6” Mansell pinpoint axle wheels, with waisted pin-point bearings are required to complete the model.
|D84 Picnic saloon||Fourteen of these improved versions of D85 were built in 1894, the main difference being the alteration of the window arrangement to allow better ventilation. All were withdrawn between 1928-1930.||£38.50|
|D85 Picnic saloon||Fifteen were built in 1893 and were withdrawn between 1928 and 1930. An interesting model for modellers of the LNWR and early LMS, they would be attached to scheduled passenger trains, so make a good addition to any collection.||£38.50|
|D297 Five comp. third||The most common LNWR 6 wheel carriage, 827 were built between 1887 and 1894, some still being listed in the LMS stock list of 1933.||£38.50|
|D359 Three comp. Brake Third||The centre brake compartment layout was popular with the LNWR and fifty seven were built between 1889 and 1892.||£38.50|
|D385 Passenger brake van||Three hundred and fifty four were built between 1889 and 1898, making them a common sight on LNWR trains. They featured two sets of double doors as well as a guard’s door and lookout ogee in the centre.
Ninety five were still in use by the LMS in 1933, the last surviving to 1952 in BR ownership.
|D425 Parcel Van||Built between 1889 and 1903, these vans featured five separate compartments, each with double doors.
They were therefore used for parcels, newspapers, etc. intended for specific stations along a route where they could be rapidly loaded or unloaded. One was permanently allocated to Palethorpes Sausage traffic.
Originally fifty nine built were and eleven were still in use by the LMS in 1933.
|32′ Invalid carriage||There appears to be only one vehicle in this diagram, number 28 later numbered 5028. Built in 1889 it was dual fitted with both vacuum and Westinghouse brakes, so would be ideal as a through carriage onto other companies lines. It was scrapped before 1923.||£38.50|
|32′ Inspection Saloon||Five 32’ Inspection saloons were converted from earlier Family Saloons, including the addition of an open veranda at one end. The conversions were carried out around 1910, the last Inspection Saloon lasting into BR hands, still in LMS livery in 1952. An unusual and interesting item which, coupled to a suitable engineer’s loco, would make a short “train” that most LNWR/LMS/BR layout could accommodate.
The carriage body is etched in brass, with a N/S Cleminson underframe, similar to that in our other LNWR six wheel carriages. The kit includes a vacuum formed roof, cast buffers, etc.
|Six wheel LNWR 30’ 1” underframe||
Offered as a separate kit for use with other LNWR 6 wheel carriage kits. The Cleminson underframe has fixing points for Alex Jackson couplings, or screw couplings can be fitted to the buffer beam.
|Six wheel LNWR 32′ underframe||10’0″x 10’0″ wheelbase. The Cleminson underframe has fixing points for Alex Jackson couplings, or screw couplings can be fitted to the buffer beam.||£19.50|
|Six wheel LNWR 32′ underframe||10’6″x 10’6″ wheelbase. The Cleminson underframe has fixing points for Alex Jackson couplings, or screw couplings can be fitted to the buffer beam.||£19.50|
|42′ Arc Roof Carriages
|As passenger traffic developed, the LNWR introduced the 42′ radial underframe carriage, as the logical development of the 4 and 6 wheel coach, from 1882. From 1893, bogie underframes were introduced, some older carriages being converted, as well as new stockbeing built.The majority of the carriages listed were built as bogie underframe from new, a few being radial conversions. Many lasted well into the 1930’s some getting as far as 1945/6.These kits have an etched brass body and underframe; cast whitemetal bogies and detail components and a preformed plasticard roof. These are a good etched kit for the beginner to etched coach kit construction.|
|D105||5 Compartment First, with Lavatory|
|D159||4 1/2 Compartment Composite, with Lavatory|
||4 1/2 Compartment Luggage Composite, with Lavatory|
||4 + 2 Half Compartment Luggage Composite, with Lavatory|
|D227||4 Compartment Brake Composite, with Lavatory|
||7 Compartment Third|
|D293||6 Compartment Luggage Third||D330||Lavatory centre Brake third|
|D352 early||Four compartment end Brake 3rd, Brake Composite, or Brake 2nd|
|D352 late||As D352 early, without windows in the brake section|
|D354||Centre Brake third or Brake Composite. Also built for WCJS later CR|
|50′ Arc Roof Non-Corridor Carriages
D249 at £40.00, D221 at £43.00
The original LNWR 50ft arc roof suburban carriage kits – D187, D112, D345, D347 and D289 – are now discontinued. However, following customer demand a small additional batch was produced and the kits are available while stocks last. Please enquire for availability.These kits have etched sides, ends and body details; Ratio plastic underframes and bogies; a pre-formed plasticard roof and whitemetal components.
|D345||6 Compartment Brake Third|
5 Compartment Brake Third
|D249||Lavatory brake composite|
|D221||Lavatory brake composite slip carriage|
|D221 Lavatory Brake Composite Slip and D249 Lavatory Brake Composite Carriages diagrams D221 and D249 were the only arc roof lavatory carriages built to a length of 50 feet. Originally built as D221 Slip tri-composites in 1901, these nine carriages were altered to Diagram 249 before the grouping, although the exact date is unclear.
They were withdrawn between 1934 and 1952, so D249 is appropriate for LMS and early BR period modellers.
The carriage layouts were identical, with the exception of the differences to the ends to cope with the different requirements of slip working. In addition, the slip carriages were given raised ‘birdcages’ at the brake end. They were gaslit when new, but adapted to electric lighting from around 1910.These kits have etched sides, ends and body details; Ratio plastic underframes and bogies; a pre-formed
plasticard roof and whitemetal components. The kit for D221 includes etched components for the raised birdcage. They are ideally suited to the beginner, whilst providing a sufficiently detailed and accurate model to satisfy the more experienced modeller.
|50′ Cove Roof Lavatory Carriages
These kits are based on carriages which first appeared in 1905, four sets being built for use on the London – Rugby service, one set staying together until at least 1927. When the sets were divided the separate carriages were used on the same type of working ie, longer distance suburban services until they were withdrawn c.1944/55.The kits available allow a complete prototypical set to be modelled, while the first class and third class coaches were also used in other sets.
These kits comprise finely etched brass sides, ends, compartment partitions, underframe, battery boxes, etc. The roof is an aluminium extrusion and Ratio LNWR 8’0” plastic bogie mouldings are provided, together with cast brass buffers, vacuum and steam pipes. The roof detailing components are in cast whitemetal.
Brake Third or Brake Second .
|Saloons, Full Brakes, etc.|
|D77||42′ Picnic Saloon
Picnic saloons were available for hire for day outings and the 42′ arc roof version to D77 were the biggest single derivative. Fifty five were built between 1898 and 1900, the last surviving to 1946.
Almost any layout can justifiably run one of these delightful coaches. The interior of the coach is well illustrated, both by photograph and a drawing, in David Jenkinson’s “Illustrated History of L.N.W.R. Coaches”.The kit has an etched brass body, underframe and rigid (i.e. non-working) corridor connections; Ratio plastic bogies; whitemetal detail components and a preformed plasticard roof.
WCJS/LNWR 42′ Bogie Full Brake.
27 were built as built as West Coast Joint Stock (shared with the Caledonian Railway on London/Scottish services) between 1891 and 1895, they would have been down graded in later years for normal LNWR/Caley use. Six were originally fitted with Lansdown side corridor connections for use as postal vans, the brake vans having plain ends. Centre gangways were fitted to the brake vans after 1905, as represented by the kit.The kit is as the D77 Picnic Saloon, except that cast whitemetal truss rod bogies are supplied, rather than the Ratio plastic mouldings. The ogees are cast whitemetal, as these are easier to fit than assembling fold up etched components.
LNWR 45′ Scenery Truck D46
Built at the end of the Nineteenth Century, these bogie scenery trucks were mounted on underframes identical to the 45ft carriages.
They were dual fitted with Westinghouse as well as vacuum brakes to work over the Caledonian Railway.
They had slatted wood floors and loading plates which extended over the buffer bodies. Although the LMS
later modified five of them for use with parcel containers, in LNWR days, they would be used to carry horse drawn scenery trucks of touring theatrical companies.The kit includes brass etches for the underframe and body, cast brass buffers and cast whitemetal bogies and other fittings.
|D80/D381||LNWR D80/WCJS D381 – 45′ FULL BRAKE
102 of these 45′ vehicles were built for the LNWR and a further 35 for the WCJS. They were there a relatively common sight and represent a prototype worth modelling. Essentially these were just a longer version of the 42′ type. All the WCJS vehicles lasted into LMS ownership as did most if not all of the LNWR vehicles. The kit represents the type built with truss rod bogies and identical sides, as opposed to the mirrorimage version. One of the WCJS brakes became the property of the MGNR.
Although it never carried it’s MGN number it became LNER Diagram 36E, number 84000. Later it received BR number 6312 and was scrapped in 1953. A rare opportunity for the LNER modeller to genuinely run a LNWR prototype.The kit include centre corridor connectors and ends, as well as plain ends, so that they can be modelled in several variations. Otherwise the kits are as the D77 Picnic Saloon, except that cast whitemetal truss rod bogies are supplied, rather than the Ratio plastic mouldings. The ogees are cast whitemetal, as these are easier to fit than assembling fold up etched components.
|M33||Six Compartment Composite Driving Trailer
The LNWR built, or rather converted a number of coaches to motor drivers for “push pull” use, some of which (M58, M60)lasted into BR ownership.
They were often run in pairs with a trailer coach, for example a D187 Composite or a D289 Third.
Two M33’s were built in 1899. These Driving Trailers were based on D187 composites with a third class compartment converted to the driving compartment. They lasted until 1937 and 1944.
Four M60/M72’s Driving trailers were built in 1899, both types having seven compartments. They were externally apparently identical. Two M72’s lasted until 1939/40, while the other was converted to an M73. The M60 was withdrawn in 1951.
The M58’s were built as an open carriage and were originally fitted with corridor connections. Six were built in 1900, the last being withdrawn in 1958.
|M58||Corridor Open Third Motor Driver||£40.00|
|M60/M72||Seven compartment All Third Driving Trailer||£40.00|
|M71||50′ Cove Roof Motor Driver.
These carriages were all converted for push pull work from non-corridor brake thirds LNWR Diagram 338.
There were 9 coaches in this diagram, 8 being converted circa 1912/13 and one in 1931. The 1912 conversions were built to work in four coach sets with a loco in the middle of the set. The most common companion vehicle was either an M57 cove roof third or an M29 cove roof composite. Later they operated as two coach sets, while in late LMS and early BR they worked singly or in tandem with almost any type of motor fitted carriage. The last vehicle was scrapped in 1955.These kits comprise finely etched brass sides, ends, compartment partitions, underframe, battery boxes, etc. The roof is an aluminium extrusion and Ratio LNWR 8′ 0″ plastic bogie mouldings are provided, together with cast brass buffers, vacuum and steam pipes. The roof detailing components are in cast whitemetal.
|6WLV||26′ LUGGAGE VAN
The LNWR built 112 six wheel vans between 1869 and 1873. They set the style for this type of vehicle, with a centre guards door and ducket (ogee) and double luggage compartment doors towards each end. The kit represents the early versions that had a low arc roof with beaded end panelling. They were originally 6 wheeled but some were later modified to a 4-wheel underframe. They generally lasted until 1903-06, although a few survived for a several more years as service stock. Formerly part of the D&S range, the body is .012″ etched brass, with a vacuum-formed plasticard roof. White metal castings provide the roof and other details. The kit incorporates a six-wheel underframe with a suspension system.
||26′ MILK VAN
A number of the 26′ Luggage Vans were rebuilt in the early 1890’s as Milk Vans, as a result of the great increase in the amount of perishable traffic, which required ventilated vehicles. The rebuild involved putting louvres in all the upper side panels (except the doors) and removing the dog boxes at either end.
Like the Luggage Vans, they generally lasted until 1903-06 and some were later modified to have a 4 wheel underframe. Formerly part of the D&S range, the body is etched brass, with a vacuum-formed plasticard roof. White metal castings provide the roof and other details. The kit incorporates a six-wheel underframe with a suspension system. This can be modified to the four-wheel version, as described by Bob Williams in Your Model Railway, March 1986.
Built to carry boilers and other large, heavy loads, these bogie wagons were built from heavily riveted steel plate.The kit includes brass etches for the underframe and body, cast brass buffers, bogie supports, brake gear, etc. The rivet detail is partly raised etch detail and partly embossed etch.
|LNWR Oerlikon Electric sets.
A kit for the Oerlikon set has been under development for a number of years. Unfortunately, we have been unable to get sufficient details of the underframe gear to complete the kits. However, following a number of requests, we can now supply the body etches to special order. Each set of etches contains the parts to produce bodies – with floors – for the three carriages in each set. Roofs, underframe details, bogies, etc. will have to be sourced separately. Special order only, UK post and packing free of charge.
Orders should be sent to London Road Models, allowing six weeks for delivery.