Introduced in 1863, 43 of these diminutive shunting engines were built. The last was withdrawn from service in 1933, although one had passed into private ownership and is now preserved at the NRM. Five were supplied to the L&Y in 1872, possibly from the batch of ten built that year. Originally built with open cabs, they were later fitted with larger spectacle plates and cab roofs. There were no other major changes beside the fitting of Webb safety valve, although some had individual modifications as shown in Talbot’s LNWR engines. The kit features a superbly cast, one piece resin boiler/saddle tank/smokebox/firebox including chimney, dome and safety valve. The casting is hollow to allow weight to be added, and has just enough space to fit our Mashima motor and gearbox combination. The rest of the kit is etched in brass and nickel silver, with brass and nickel silver castings, including between the frame detail. A dedicated motorising pack (Mashima motor, motor mount and gears) is available at £34.00
L.N.W.R. /L.M.S./B.R. 0-6-2T Watford Tank
These locomotives, a tank engine version of the Cauliflower, were designed by F W Webb and introduced in 1898. They had all the latest Webb refinements of the time, steel buffer beams, fluted coupling rods, metal brake blocks and were fitted with carriage heating equipment and were the largest LNWR tank locomotives until the introduction of Whale’s 4-4-2T Precursor tank engines. They were introduced primarily to haul the 50′ suburban coaches introduced on the Euston to Watford service as well as the Birmingham-Walsall and Manchester-Buxton. All of them passed into LMS ownership, with 16 lasting into British Rail days.The kit is etched in nickel silver, which is easier to solder than brass and “takes” paint better. This straightforward kit is recommended for beginners to etched loco kit construction.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S./BR 17″Goods Coal Engine 0-6-0
F. W. Webb’s first designs for the LNWR, these locomotives were based on the 0-6-0 Special Tanks originally designed by Ramsbottom. Introduced in 1873, over 500 were built, of which 45 were converted to “Coal Tanks”. 277 passed into LMS hands, with 42 of these lasting into BR ownership. They were originally equipped with horizontally hinged smokebox doors and 1500 gallon tenders. Cast “H” section wheels were fitted, with plain section coupling rods. The final batch were produced in 1890, with circular smokebox doors, steam brakes with wooden brake shoes and 1800-gallon tenders. Coal engines were never fitted with vacuum brake equipment in LNWR days so, after the final disappearance of the chain brake equipment in 1892, they were used on goods trains only. Tenders were changed around during overhauls, so it was not unusual for 1500, 1800, or 2000 gallon tenders to be fitted.Any one of these three versions can be supplied with the kit. The loco is etched entirely in nickel silver, with a pre-rolled boiler. The tender is etched brass with a N/S underframe. Normally supplied with an 1800 gallon tender, either of the two other versions in our range can be supplied on request.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S. 0-6-0 Crewe Special Tank
The Crewe Special Tank was John Ramsbottom’s last design and was effectively a saddle tank version of the DX Goods tender locomotive. First built in 1870, the last survived until 1941 although scrapping began before grouping. F W Webb continued building the Special Tank with Webb features including chimney, cast number plate, safety valve casing, etc.Etched in nickel silver, the kit includes a cast resin saddle tank. The model can be built in open or closed cab versions, circular or horizontally hinged smokebox door, etc.
L.N.W.R. 2-2-2-2 “Greater Britain”
The Greater Britain class was F. W. Webb’s largest 3 cylinder compound passenger locomotives. They were an enlargement of the Teutonic class, with a longer boiler and Stephenson rather than Joy valve gear for the outside cylinders. The first two engines built had an “L” shaped cab side-sheet, with the lower part of the L extending forward to meet the rear splasher. These two locomotives were built in 1891 but were later fitted with the standard design of Webb cab, probably when the rest of the class were built in 1894.The kit is designed around the later version, with a 2000-gallon tender which was the norm for the class.They were scrapped between 1906 and 1907. 2053 “Greater Britain” and 2054 “Queen Empress” were repainted in 1897 to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. 2053 was painted scarlet with dark blue and gold lining, while 2054 was white with lavender panel edging and gold lining.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S. Special DX
F. W. Webb rebuilt the Special DX from John Ramsbottom’s DX class, between 1887 and 1898. The changes included a new boiler pitched 3″ higher with a 3’9″ chimney, Webb cab and safety valve cover and coupling rods with solid ends. As originally rebuilt they had horizontal smokebox doors, tender brakes only and plain black livery. From 1883 vacuum brakes were fitted and they then became known as Special DX. Like the Cauliflower they were used for both passenger and goods workings. Circular smokebox doors were fitted from 1884 although the earlier horizontal type was retained by some for many years. Locomotive steam brakes, with wooden brake shoes, had started to appear by 1895.The locomotive is etched in N/S with a pre-rolled etched boiler. A 1800 gallon tender is supplied as standard.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S./B.R. 5′ 6″ 2-4-2 Radial Tank Engine.
The 5′ 6″ Radial Tanks were tank engine versions of the Precursor 2-4-0s and were built between 1890 and 1897. They were introduced to replace the small 2-4-0 Samson class on local and branch workings and appeared all over the LNWR network. Under LMS ownership they proved very useful as branch line engines, quite a number being fitted with vacuum regulator for push pull working, while a few lasted into BR days.The kit is etched in nickel silver and is a straightforward model, well suited to the novice kit builder.
Mr. F W Webb introduced the ‘Improved Precedent’ or 66″ Straight Link class as the same basic design as that of the original Precedents, between 1887 and 1890. The entire class was modernised and re-boilered between 1891 and 1895 to provide a total of 166 engines. It was in this form that these engines won most of their fame, with a capacity for hard work combined with an ability to run at high speed. One of the class, Hardwicke, is preserved in the NRM at York. This locomotive is famous for it role on the 1888 and 1895 railway races to the north.The kit is etched in brass with nickel silver for the chassis. The curved running plate is formed over a jig that incorporates the valance, to accurate and straightforward assembly. The etched boiler is pre-rolled and an 1800-gallon tender is supplied as standard. A selection of etched name/number plates is included.
Choice of tender
L.N.W.R./L.M.S. “Whitworth” or “Waterloo”
The 6ft Straight Link class was introduced in 1889, to replace the Samsons. They were known as “Whitworths”, “Waterloos” or “Small Jumbos”. They are distinguished from the Precedents by their smaller driving wheels and splashers, as well as the lower front-end frames. Ninety were built, so though not as numerous as Precedents, they were still a large class.The kit is etched in brass with nickel silver for the chassis. The curved running plate is formed over a jig that incorporates the valance, to accurate and straightforward assembly.The etched boiler is pre-rolled and an 1800-gallon tender is supplied as standard. A selection of etched name/number plates is included.
(Choice of tender)
L.N.W.R./L.M.S./B.R. “Cauliflower” Round top boiler
Introduced in 1880 to design of F.W. Webb, these locomotives were intended for express goods work and as replacements for the earlier DX class. Over 300 more of the class were built up to 1902. No less than 308 were running at grouping with 22 of the class surviving to nationalisation, the class finally becoming extinct in 1955. Originally provided with wooden brake blocks on both locomotives and tender many of the locomotive brakes were changed to double hanger all-metal type during LMS ownership. Standard lamp irons replaced the LNWR lamp sockets, plain or fluted coupling rods could be fitted and Cauliflowers could be seen with 1800 gallon, 2000 gallon or 2500 gallon tenders. Early tenders had the communication cord supports but no coal rails, which were introduced from 1895.These variations are included in the kit, which is to the same specification as the Precedents and Whitworths, including the jig for forming the running plate/valance assembly. The 1800-gallon tender is supplied as standard although there is a choice of tender.
L.M.S./B.R. Belpaire Boiler “Cauliflower”
In 1924 the LMS started to fit Belpaire firebox boilers to the “Cauliflower” or 18″ Express Goods Engines. At least 140 locomotives were so modified. The new boiler featured pop safety valves and carried three washout plugs on each side of the firebox. The Belpaire firebox necessitated alteration to the spectacle plate, with different windows. All but two had been fitted with double hanger all-metal brakes by 1928. Standard lamp irons replaced the LNWR lamp sockets, plain or fluted coupling rods could be fitted although the plain versions became very rare. Belpaire firebox boiler Cauliflowers could be seen with 1800 gallon, 2000 gallon or 2500 gallon tenders. These were very long-lived locomotives, with 75 being handed over by the LMS to British Railways. They were finally withdrawn in 1955.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S./B.R. 2-4-0T “Chopper Tank”
In 1876 F.W. Webb introduced the 4′ 6″ 2-4-OT “Chopper Tank” engines and between 1876 and 1880 fifty were built. They were intended mainly for local passenger work, operating in and around Manchester, Birmingham and London on the Broad Street to Mansion House services. In original condition these engines were condenser fitted, which was later removed from a number of the class. Sixteen of the class went into LMS stock in 1923. Most were scrapped in the mid 30’s, with one reaching BR before scrapping in 1952.
Designed by Iain Rice, the kit is etched in brass with a nickel silver chassis.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S. “Samson” 2-4-0
Designed by John Ramsbottom and introduced in 1863, the Samson or ‘6ft curved link passenger engines’ were the first L&NWR passenger locomotives with coupled driving wheels. When introduced, the locos had open cabs, slotted splashers, exposed safety valves, no brakes and a sloping smokebox front with a horizontally hinged door. F.W. Webb progressively rebuilt the Samsons, gradually incorporating his latest design features. These included enclosed safety valves, close cabs, Webb buffers and chimney, ‘solid’ splashers, engine steam brakes, train vacuum brakes and screw couplings. In addition to rebuilding the originals, Webb also built a further batch between 1873 and 1879, which also incorporated the typical Webb design of sandbox. Scrapping commenced in 1889 but ten survived and eventually were transferred to the Engineer’s Department, where they mostly lasted until 1923-25.The kit includes components to build a Samson in the various stages of their development, including open or closed cab, slotted or plain splashers, horizontally hinged smokebox door, etc. The loco chassis etch includes special side-plates to allow a Portescap 1219 to be installed, driving the leading coupled axle.
Alternatively a less expensive Mashima flat can motor, with an LRM motor mount and gears can be fitted.
A castellated chimney, early backplate and open Ramsbottom safety valve are available separately.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S. Precursor 4-4-2T Tank
Introduced in 1906 by George Whale, the “6ft. Four Coupled Side Tanks” were commonly referred to as “Precursor Tanks” and were essentially a tank version of the Precursor. The driving wheels were 6′ 3″ diameter and the first thirty had 3’9″ bogie and trailing wheels. In the next two batches of ten, built in 1907 and 1909, the carrying wheels were 3′ 3″. They were used extensively for suburban working, especially around London Birmingham and Manchester. They were all taken into LMS stock and lasted variously until 1931 to 1940. As built they had Whale buffers, a capuchon on the chimney, smokebox lubricators and sandboxes between the frames. Later some were equipped with cab roof ventilators, while other modifications included “Jumbo” style sandboxes, Bowen-Cooke buffers and plain chimneys.This kit has been re-introduced with completely new frames, which include an easily assembled sprung bogie and a radial truck rear axle. The new chassis is also available as a separate item (code CHAS5), for modeller wishing to update a Gem or Falcon Brass kit.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S. Class C/C1 0-8-0
No. 2524, the first in a long line of LNWR 0-8-0 locomotives was built in 1892. The “A” Class followed, which were essentially three-cylinder compound versions of No.2524. Altogether ten “C”s and thirty four “C1″s were later converted from the “A” Class. They were fitted with Whale buffers and sandboxes feeding the front axle for the forward direction and the rear axle for reverse. They were usually coupled to Webb 1800 gallon tenders could also have 2000 or 2500 gallon versions. The last of the “C”s was withdrawn in 1932 and the last “C1” in 1933.The kit can be built as a “C” or “C1” class, or with some slight modification, as the unique No. 2524.
The locomotive body is etched in .015in. nickel-silver to provide good raised detail, with cast whitemetal boiler fittings and lost wax brass castings for the finer details parts. The etched boiler is pre-rolled, while the etched nickel silver chassis has provision for being built in rigid, sprung or compensated versions. An 1,800 gallon Webb tender is supplied as standard, although the 2000 gallon version can be provided as an alternative.
L.N.W.R./L.M.S./B.R. 0-6-2T “Coal Tank”
The “Coal Tanks” were introduced in late 1881. They were essentially a tank version of the ’17 inch Coal Engine’ first introduced some eight years earlier. They were originally intended only for use on goods trains and shunting. However, the relative inefficiency of the engine brake linkage caused them to be mainly used on braked passenger trains, rather than unfitted goods trains. As a result, they achieved relatively low running mileage and survived for a long time. They were equipped with cast H section spokes wheels, for both the 4ft 5½ inch driving and 3ft 9inch carrying wheels. Circular firebox doors were introduced from the 1890’s, and most received metal brakes shoes in the early 1900’s.The kit provides the parts to build the locomotive with the later circular smokebox door and wooden or cast iron brake shoes. LNWR lamp sockets or LMS/BR lamp irons can be modelled. The etched parts are all nickel silver and the smokebox/boiler/firebox unit is cast from resin.
L.N.W.R. Jubilee 4-4-0
The LNWR Jubilee class were introduced between 1897 and 1899. A total of 40 Jubilees were built up to 1900, all being converted to 2 cylinder Renowns between 1910 and 1924, except for 1904 Rob Roy which was scrapped in 1923. They were fitted with 7′ 1″ diameter wheels with 20 spokes, with large central bosses incorporating the balance weights. Two were equipped with Belpaire boilers in 1904, but we have not included this variation. All Jubilees were equipped with the Webb 2000-gallon wood framed tender.The loco kit is fully etched in n/s and features a sprung bogie and cast n/s slidebars and crossheads. An
assembly jig is provided for forming the running plate shape. The loco is designed as a number of sub assemblies for ease of construction, painting and lining. A 2000-gallon tender is supplied.
L.N.W.R. Problem/Lady of the Lake 2-2-2
Introduced in 1859, The Problems were originally built with open cabs, castellated chimneys, slotted splashers and small sandboxes. They were coupled to 1500-gallon tenders until the late 1890’s when 1800-gallon tenders were also used. Unlike many later LNWR locos, they were the subject of a number of rebuilds and alterations during their working lives. The first major alterations dating from around 1873, was to fit enclosed cabs, Webb chimneys, larger sandboxes and enclosed safety valves. The slotted splashers and horizontal smokebox doors were retained but the Problems still lacked brakes. Between 1879 and 1983 140psi boilers were fitted, together with enclosed splashers. Brakes operating on the 7′ 9″ diameter wheel driving wheels started to appear in the late 1880’s. At the final rebuild, new boilers operating at 150 psi and raised by 3″ were fitted. Circular smokebox doors were fitted to the smokebox, with 3′ 9″ chimneys. The frames were also new. The model is designed to build this final version, although parts to model the earlier versions are included.The kit includes optional twin beam compensation between the driving and rear axles, a w/m casting for the smokebox/cylinders assembly and n/s castings for the slidebars and crossheads. The small clearance between the leading wheels and crossheads requires careful assembly in EM and especially P4 gauges.
L.N.W.R. 4’6″ 2-4-2 T (Mansion House Tank)
Closely related to the 2-4-0 ‘Chopper’ tanks the 4′ 6″ Four Coupled Side Tank engines first entered service in 1879. Building continued until 1898, with the last being withdrawn in 1932 having found their way over a wide part of the L&NWR system. A number were fitted with condensing gear, including those for the Broad Street – Mansion House service, the class also becoming known as Mansion House Tanks.Designed from the original L&NWR GA drawings, this entirely new kit is etched in nickel silver, with cast brass and whitemetal fittings. The chassis has working radial trucks with springing and is designed to negotiate 30″ curves (24″ in 00). A number of optional parts are included, including condensing gear , motor fitted linkage mountings, roof vent blanking plates, etc. The boiler/smokebox assembly is detachable for ease of assembly and painting.
L.N.W.R. Teutonic 2-2-2-0
The Teutonic 2-2-2-0s were the most successful of Webb’s three cylinder compounds, following on from the
Experiments and Dreadnoughts. Ten Teutonic class locos were built in 1889, the last being scrapped in 1907. The most famous was 1304 Jeannie Deans, which hauled the Euston to Glasgow ‘Scotch Express’ on the Euston to Crewe section almost every day for nearly nine years. The Teutonics had two outside HP cylinders driving the rear axle and a single, large, inside LP cylinder driving the centre crank axle.
The front carrying axle was mounted in a radial truck, a typical Webb feature. As built the frames at the front extended well forward of the centre LP cylinder to accommodate the piston tail rod support and a ‘piano lid front’ covered the front. The overhang was cut back from when the piston tail rods were removed in 1896, while the front centre lamp socket was not added until 1903. Both versions are catered for by the kit. Teutonics were originally equipped with the Webb 1800 gallon tender, and then with 2000 gallon tenders from about 1903, carried on 3′ 9″ 10 spoke wheels.The loco etches are entirely in nickel silver and provide the builder with the option of fixed, semi-working or fully working Joy outside valve gear. A radial truck is provided for the front carrying axle. The kit has been designed for drive on the rear driving axle only, although it is possible to fit a more complicated drive system to both axles. Frame spacers for 00, EM and P4 are provided. The crossheads, cylinder covers, etc. are cast nickel silver with the majority of the boiler and detail fittings are in brass.
Webb Rebuilt Large Bloomer
The original LNWR Southern Division Large Bloomers were rebuilt by F W Webb between1868 and 1875, and variously scrapped between 1876 and 1888. Initially they had Webb boilers with simple spectacle plates (weatherboards), but were soon fitted with standard Webb pattern cabs.The etched nickel silver chassis can be built to OO, EM or P4 standards Bodies are etched in brass, with cast brass and some white metal fittings. Both Webb cab and spectacle plate variants can be built. The kit is supplied with the Webb modified long wheel base McConnell six wheel tender.
The loco can be powered on the driving or trailing wheels. The loco frames are supplied with fixed bearings but standard hornblocks can be fitted to the driving axle. The leading axle can be fitted with a simple springing system.
The LWB tender frames are too ‘small’ to accept standard hornblocks but the kit has provision for springing if required.
McConnell Southern Division Large Bloomer
The original LNWR Southern Division Large Bloomers were built by Sharp Stewart, Kitson and by the Southern Division of the L&NWR at Wolverton between1851 and 1862. Their design was attributed to McConnell, then in charge of the locomotive works at Wolverton. They were rebuilt by F W Webb between1868 and 1875. Researching the details of the McConnell version was not straightforward as few original drawings exist, but the kit includes the components to produce any of the photographed prototypes pictured in the more readily available reference books.The etched nickel silver chassis can be built to OO, EM or P4 standards Bodies are etched in brass, with cast brass and some white metal fittings. The main brass boiler fittings for the original Southern Division version are from patterns produced by Mike Sharman. Two variants of spectacle plate are included. The kit is supplied with the short wheel base McConnell six wheel tender.
There are a large number of brass castings in the kit, which explains the price differential compared with the Webb rebuilt version. The loco can be powered on the driving or trailing wheels. The loco frames are supplied with fixed bearings but standard hornblocks can be fitted to the driving axle. The leading axle can be fitted with a simple springing system. The SWB tender frames are too small to accept standard hornblocks but the kit has provision for springing if required. Comprehensive instructions include guidance on suitable liveries for the Large Bloomers, an area of some confusion.
Whale Renown 4-4-0
The LNWR Renown 4-4-0 were rebuilt from the Jubilee and Alfred the Great classes between 1908 and 1922, with a total of 72 locomotives being modified. Often referred to as “Small Precursors”, they lasted until 1931.
Frame spacer options are provided for 00, EM and P4. Standard 6mm hornblock cut outs are provided so that the frames can be assembled for sprung or compensated suspension if required. The front coupled axle centre bearing support (modelled as on the prototype) provides a compensating beam pivot for the front axle, if the rear axle is “fixed” and powered.
The etches for the locomotive frames and body ( and also for the Webb 2500 gallon tender kit, newly designed for the Renown kit) are in nickel silver. The prototype driving axle centre bearing carrier has been adapted to provide a compensating beam support. The boiler/smokebox and footplate/cab have been designed as two separate units for ease of construction and painting.
The comprehensive specification of the kit includes a sprung radial truck and sprung buffers. Lost wax brass castings are supplied for the majority of the other detail components, in addition to turned handrails, whistles, etc. There are 20 pages of A4 instructions, including detailed “exploded” drawings. Wheels, motor and gears are required to complete.
Webb 1800 gallon
Webb 2000 gallon
Webb 1500 gallon
Webb 2500 gallon
McConnell long wheelbase
McConnell short wheelbase
LNWR Chassis Kits and Accessories
Crewe Special Tank
5′ 6″ Tank
Watford Tank (frames kit, excludes frame spacers & pony/radial truck)
LNWR 4-4-2 Precursor Tank Chassis
LNWR 6′ 3″ loco bogie 00/EM/P4 (sprung)
LNWR Radial truck 00/EM/P4
Belpaire firebox conversion for Cauliflower (LMS)
L.N.W.R. Pre-painted etched numberplates (pair).
L.N.W.R. Pre-painted etched number nameplates (pair).